Following the landmark climate accord in Paris, the world is looking to a rapid upscaling of wind and solar energy in the energy mix in the coming decade and beyond. This will only be made possible, says DNV GL, with concomitant developments in materials, including:
- alternative semiconductor material in photovoltaics (e.g. halide perovskite)
- new PV module coatings, materials and coatings for the harsh conditions of CSP and thermal energy storage
- hybrid reinforcements of wind turbine blades
- cheaper permanent magnets in gearless direct drive wind turbines
- a range of innovative battery chemistries in energy storage systems.